Coiste na dTuismitheoirí
COISTE na dTUISMITHEOIRÍ / Parents’ Committee
Étaín Ó Corcora (Cathaoirleach); Mary McCrossan (Cisteoir); Paul Dilger (Rúnaí); Pádraic Ó Flátharta (PRO).
Board of Management parents’ reps: Étaín Ó Corcora & Eoghan Mac Cormaic
Coiste na dTuismitheoirí Meeting 23 March 2017
Coiste na dTuismitheoirí Meeting 26 Jan 2017
The school is 10 years old! Many thanks to all the students, teachers and parents who made this first decade such a successful one.
Please remind your children to make full use of the lockers. They’re provided free to students, whereas it’s not unusual for there to be a charge for them in other schools.
The school will be setting up a stationery shop for student to get work essentials – details to follow.
Thanks to all parents who returned the summer survey. The results were very encouraging and the school plans to reach out to parents for their views across a number of areas.
It’s been a fantastic start to the academic year so far:
– Mamma Mia was a great success
– Senior Boys B won the All-Ireland Volleyball
– At the BT Young Scientist awards in Dublin, Ciara ní Ghríofa came 1st in her category – Social & Behavioural Sciences
– The 1st years boys won the All Ireland Spike Ball
– We attended the music national finals
– At the quiz night, the Coláiste came 2nd and go forward to the All Irelands on 27/28th March
There’s also a lot going on over the coming weeks and months:
– 2 additional classrooms confirmed for August/September
– There’ll be around 40 students for the intake in ’17/’18
– The TY students have a plenty to fill out their time, with drivers’ education in the soccer car park, dancing lessons,the April trip to Madrid, a TY drama on an Irish author in March (in the Coláiste), and a quiz to organise for the 5 Gaelscoileanna.
– There’s a linguistics workshop w/c 30.1.17
– February is friendship / anti-bullying awareness month
– There are also talks planned on sexual hygiene and LGBT awareness, Internet/social media awareness and the laws around it, and drugs and alcohol awareness
The next Parents Council meeting is Thursday 23rd March 2017 at 7pm in the school staff room. It’s in English and lasts an hour, why not come along and let your voice be heard
Coiste na dTuismitheoirí Meeting 6th Oct 2016
The first meeting of the Coláiste Parents Council for 2016/2017 was held on Thursday 6th October 2016
We encourage all parents to attend Council meetings. We need your help! All meetings are in English, Here are some of the things happening:
– There are lots of activities for the students at lunchtimes, including, chess has started, music, a range of sports at lunchtime. Computer coding is also coming soon.
— There was some discussion on the weight of the bags, students to be encouraged to use the lockers more
– There is a new catering system at lunch time
– Music is new on the curriculum
– The Coláiste is 10 years old this year – as is Gaelscoil Riada, there’s a joint event in the planning – watch out for announcements this term
– The Big Brother Big Sister program starts on Monday 10th October 2016
– The Coláiste has organised, in partnership with the Western Region Drugs Task Force, a series of talks on drug awareness to help parents broach these subjects with their children. These sessions are free of charge to all parents. Watch out for details of the first session
– We’re joined this year by 48 new first year students, split alomst exactly 50-50 between boys and girls. They’re very welcome and we wish them well as they start the secondary school careers, with the new subject of music on the curriculum this year
– Junior Cert and Leaving Cert results were very good. Junior Cert, 9/10 papers taken at higher level, 82% were A/B/C. Leaving, 15 students sat, going onto a variety of things. 28% of students exceeded 510 points, 62% exceeded 410 points, four times & twice the national average respectively.
– Did you know that your child’s GRETB Microsoft Office license is good for 4 more downloads on other devices?
– The Transition Year musical for 2016 is Mamma Mia, on the 17th and 18th November in Athenry Community Hall. Look out for more details soon
– There’s an open night for prospective students of the Coláiste on the Wednesday 26th at 7:30pm. It would be great if you could volunteer to help and serve tea and biscuits etc
– The next Parents Council meeting will be after half term, details to follow
Coiste na dTuismitheoirí Meeting 11th May 2016
Matters discussed included:-
Devices – Netbooks/Laptops/ Tablets – Coláiste moving towards BYOD (bring your own device) subject to minimum specifications and Windows operating systems
GRETB Awards Ceremony (click on links for more information)
School Uniform – O’Neills School Crested Top to be included as an option along with the school crested jacket and plain (no logos, no markings) plain black or navy coat/jacket
The Coláiste has recently had 2 inspections, for SEN (Special Education Needs) and Maths
The seminar on IT security awareness was very well received. Look out for the presentation slides soon on the Coláiste website
Behaviour Code – At least one weeks notice for after-school detention
Dates for your diary:
Leaving Certification graduation night Thursday 19th May
Coláiste Awards Ceremony Monday 23rd May
Coláiste Sports Day Tuesday 24th May
Transition Year presentation night, Thursday 26th May
Summer Examinations May 26th -June 2nd
Coiste na dTuismitheoirí Meeting 18th January 2016
The latest meeting of the Colaiste Parents Council was held on Monday 18th January. Some of the items discussed were:
– the weekly 50-50 lotto, where your odds of winning are very good indeed
– numbers for the new intake of 1st years in September
– watch out for a range of talks and shows aims at parents over the next few weeks, covering study skills, how to deal with signs of bullying, and safe Internet browsing for your children
We’re interested in your views and need your help! The next Parents Council Meeting meeting is on Tuesday 5th April at 7-8pm. Why not come along and suggest some speakers for future parents’ events, ways to raise funds for students, or lend a hand?
School Uniforms: Please contact the school with any questions about school uniforms.
Payments: Parents will have received payment requests from the school. These can now be done online via the VS system on the website. Please contact the school with any online payment issues.
Tablets: The School will be sending parents of their children’s use of their tablets on school premises, so that the school and parents can be informed accordingly.
Building: The new science lab is coming on well!
School musical: would like to advertise your company at the Colaiste musical? Or do you know a company that would? Contact the Colaiste office for more information.
Fund-raising: the Colaiste 50-50 lottery will start after mid-term break. Look out for other fund-raising events for the musical and beyond. Please send your items for discussion in advance of the next meeting on Monday 2nd November to the council secretary Paul via email@example.com.
Coiste na dTuismitheoirí – Meeting 24th September 2015
School Uniforms: Please contact the school with any questions about school uniforms. The Coiste was pleased with the various options of plain Black or Navy school coats/jackets which range in price from €22 – €50.
Payments: Parents will have received payment requests from the school. These can now be done online via the VS system on the website or alternatively by cheque/postal order or bank draft. Please contact the school with any online payment issues.
After-school study – Monday- Thursday from 4pm to 6pm. Looking at 9am -1pm Saturdays for senior students. A 5 minute break at 5pm was agreed upon.
Study Skills Session – to be organised for new first years and fifth years,
Tablets: The School will be sending parents reports of their children’s use of their tablets on school premises, so that the school and parents can be informed accordingly.
Building: The new science lab is coming on site in the next fortnight.
School musical: the Community hall is booked for 2 matinees and 2 evening shows on the 19th and 20th November. Tickets are €10 for the evening shows, €5 for the matinees. Please support this important show and please volunteer to help at the various fund-raising events.
We need your help! Please volunteer yourselves to attend council meetings, help with fund-raising or suggest events and guest speakers for the school.
Please send your items for discussion in advance of the next meeting on 14th October to the council secretary Paul via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Coiste na dTuismitheoirí – 30 Aibreán 2015
Mental Health: A talk on bullying awareness is scheduled for the beginning of the new academic year
Dunnes Bag-packing 14/15 March: Well done everyone, we raised €611.20! Many thanks to Mary McCrossan and all the parents and students who were involved
Big Brother/Big Sister initiative: The Lough Kee event was a fantastic success! Thanks to Múinteoir Gearoidin for her work on this
Heavy school bags: Is your child complaining their bag is too heavy with hard-backed books? Remember only to buy hard backs if it’s specifically stated. Encourage your child to make use of their lockers and store the books they don’t need
Fund-raising: We’ll be doing more fund-raising to help raise money for the Transition Year school trip to mainland Europe next Easter
School musical: The school will be performing ‘Grease’ in November! Watch this space for more information and fund-raising efforts
Please send your items for discussion in advance of the meeting to the council secretary Paul via email@example.com.
Coiste na dTuismitheoirí – 3ú Márta 2015
Healthy School Initiative: there are a range of projects underway and we need a parent to help out and suggestions for speakers for the pupils on healthy eating.
Mental Health Matters: There will be a friendship week for anti-bullying coming up and we need suggestions for who can give a talk on mental health subjects, and we need a parent to come in and help out too.
Bag-Packing March 14/15, Dunnes Briarhill: we need your help to raise much-needed funds at this annual event. Contact Mary McCrossan on 085 723 4135 after 7pm to help us out.
Big Brother/Big Sister initiative: this is going well and we’re looking at more activities.
We’re also looking at the weight of school bags for the pupils to carry, the longevity of the new uniforms, and the car parking situation in the evenings.
Finally, we wish Múinteior Seán a speedy and safe recovery.
2014 AGM – Coiste na dTuismitheoirí / Parents’ Council
Coiste na dTuismitheoirí – Election of Officers: The positions of Cathaoirleach(Chairperson) and Rúnaí (Secretary) were filled by Étaín Ó Corcora agus Paul Dilger respectively. Gabhadh buíochas le outgoing officers Maureen Berry agus Alison McCormaic for their contributions, interest and support during their time in office. Mary McCrossan was re-elected Treasurer.
The AGM was well attended and the following were among the matters discussed: – School Facilities & Future Developments; Coláiste Webpage – overview & suggestions; School Improvement Plan – Literacy & Numeracy; Coláiste – Pastoral Care; Examination Results; Extra-Curricular Activities; Behaviour Code – Polasaí Gaeilge; School Uniform – Parents’ Survey; Board of Management Elections; Fund Raising – Bag Packing?; Future Information Sessions.
Next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday November 19th at 7:00pm9
Coiste na dTuismitheoirí / Parents’ Council Meeting 13/03/14
A meeting was held at the Colaiste – among the items discussed were – Results of the Uniform survey; Breathe (see homepage); Revised Anti-Bullying policy; Proposed reforms to the Junior Certificate; School Self-Evaluation;
Coiste na dTuismitheoirí / Parents’ Council Meetings-1st Term
Included on the agenda – Update on the relocation of Coláiste an Eachréidh as part of the overall school accommodation plan for Athenry; Literacy and Numeracy Strategy; Brat Glas; New administration software- VSWARE; Overview of the CAREERS PORTAL webpage; look at the revised COLÁISTE webpage; Principal’s report.
Bailiú Airgead / Fund Raising 2013
Buíochas le Coiste na dTuismitheoirí as ucht €1001 a bhailiú ‘bag-packing’ i Dunnes Briarhill. Well done to all involved! Úsáideadh an t-airgead chun maoiniú a dhéanamh ar dhuaiseanna le haghaidh Ceiliúradh Gaisce/ The monies raised went towards the end of year awards ceremony – Ceiliúradh Gaisce.